Is It Necessary to Make Your Dog Familiar with Wearing Clothes
It has been a divided opinion among many people as to whether clothes are really necessary for dogs. Some people find the idea of dog clothes very crazy and weird while some other feel that it is very beneficial.
The reality is that there are several advantages of using dog apparel which is discussed in this article. The pet lovers do want to keep their pets comfortable and lively. Apparels are one of the ways to keep your pets warm and protect them from all sorts of weather conditions.
Mostly in warm or hot climatic conditions, the need for clothes does not arise much, but when you are living in a cold or wet climate, or you are travelling, then the need for proper and best clothes for dogs arise.
The Right Kind of Clothing Depends on Your Dog’s Breed and Its Health
- Firstly, it is important to understand that not all dogs require the same kind of apparels. It depends on the breed and its health condition.
- If your dog is a hardy, northern breed like a Bernese Mountain, then you will not need any clothing for it because they are very much used to the cold conditions and they enjoy themselves rolling in the snow.
- However, smaller dogs or dogs having a thin body type certainly need clothes to save themselves from the harsh weather conditions and to prevent them from falling sick. Ex: greyhounds and whippets.
- Even the medical professionals for pets agree that comfortable dog clothes shall benefit the dogs with a thin body and short hair, dogs that have a weak immune system and of course those dogs which have problems regarding hair growth because of illness.
How Advantageous Are Dog Clothes?
- It is not only the protection factor that is to be considered while deciding the clothes for dogs. It will be beneficial for the dogs to wear the clothes on a daily basis as we humans do. Proper clothing for dogs can help them remain comfortable outdoors. They can spend more time and enjoy more outdoors. This way your dogs will also easily adapt themselves to the seasonal changes.
- There are many reasons to be considered while choosing the clothes for dogs. Keeping the dogs warm is not the only intent. The kind of clothing depends on the weather conditions, as said earlier. If you are living in a wet climate, then your dog’s clothing should be such that it protects it from the wetness and keeps it dry. If the climate is too hot, the clothes should provide the needed respite from the heat and the dog must be kept cool. It should also be protected from sunburns.
- The clothes keep the dogs not only clean they also protect them from insect bites and repel the fleas and ticks.
What Variety of Clothes Can You Find for Your Dog?
- Canine fashion is on a high these days. There are many types of clothes available for your dog.
- Clothes like sweatshirts, jackets, coats, sweaters protect your pet dog from the harsh winters. If there is severe cold, then a heavier jacket or coat can also be used.
- The outwear protects your dog from heat, mosquitoes, spiders, other insects and also repels fleas and ticks. If your dog likes to enjoy roaming around in the scrub-land or the forest, then the out wear shall protect its coats from burrs and thistles.
- The outwear also provides respite to your dog from the harmful rays of the sun. The dogs do not sweat through the skin like humans. They usually pant and get rid of heat through their paws and nose. Using light outwear like cotton jersey can keep the dog cool and also protect it from the sun’s rays.
- During the rainy season, dog ponchos can protect them from getting soaked and prevents them from shivering. The ponchos also safeguard the dogs from the high winds that blow during rains. As the ponchos are of light-weight materials, it shall not be a burden on your dog if it wears them,they also keep your dog dry.
- You can use dog boots for protecting its paws. When you go out for a stroll with your dog in summers, the hot sidewalk shall be painful and hurting your dog’s paws. Similarly, in winters your dog has to walk on the snow and ice. If you go off road, then there are chances that the path has thorns, glass, and thistles. So to protect your pet’s paws, it is better to use dog boots.
- The dog pajamas can be used on cold nights instead of blankets. It is not sure that your dog shall be covered with the blanket throughout the night. If they wear the pajamas, then they shall feel comfortable.
- There are other stylish garments for the dogs like the safety gear with reflective patches on them etc.
The canine fashion industry has witnessed growth in the recent times. It has become a multi-dollar business these days. As per Wikipedia, in 2015, US traded pet clothing for 30 billion dollars. In 2014, UK’s 2nd largest pet store recorded as much as 35% increase in the dog clothes. More than 105,000 items of clothes for pets were sold.